i've been thinking a lot lately about where the bulk of our money goes, and it's caused me to think about priorities. the things that aren't so important, and the things that we've deemed most important, or 'worthy' of spending money on, without looking for the cheapest way out. here's what i came up with!
1. due to some injuries, not only do i need good, supportive running shoes, but i have to remind myself to replace them when i they're worn out. generally, you're supposed to replace your shoes after about 400 miles, so for me that's about every 6 months. don't let me forget!
2. if i'm going to attempt to do the things 'the right way' by starting my own seedlings, i don't want to skimp out at the gardening store (even though those cheapo seeds are tempting!).
3. i don't want to spend 1/3 of my life on scratchy sheets, so i'll buy the softest ones i can find. not very expensive, my favorites are 100% bamboo and about $30.
4. i became a vegetarian largely to avoid the antibiotics and hormones found in meat, so i constantly remind myself that they're present in non-organic dairy as well. at all costs, i skip out on hormones and pesticides by buying organic dairy and veggies.
5. all those ingredients on generic makeup that i can't pronounce just scare me! so i pay the price for ingredients that i can read and feel good about putting on my face. i'll often buy origins makeup or head to the health food store.
6. organic, fair trade, shade grown coffee- yum.
7. i'm not exactly sure why, but i just can't skimp out on food for little toastie. he's like my son, so we feed him california naturals.
8. ok, i admit it. i've fallen for the 'expensive' jeans. sure, it means that i can only buy 1 pair a year, but boy is it worth it!
9. i ain't rasin' my own chickens to eat the same nasties found in the non-organics at the grocery store. i pay a pretty penny for organic chicken feed ($25/bag rather than $7), but i've never had a more delicious egg in my life!
10. a good camera can turn a bad photographer (like me!) into a somewhat decent one. i have a nikon d40 and a canon s90 and they are so very dear to me.
so that's it! what about you? what do you deem most worthy of your paycheck?