9 months out of the year, i would promise you that i don't like corn. something happens come september, however. i move from craving watermelon and strawberries to corn and sweet potatoes. i love to listen to my cravings, as i know we were created to eat seasonally (and locally). my cravings tell me so! so as odd as i feel it is, i've been craving corn. and just in time for it start arriving in our weekly csa box. thank youuu!
soooo, last night i made corn chowder! i adapted it from martha's recipe, below is my version:
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 fennel bulb chopped (since it was in our csa box!)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 8 sprigs thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 2 ears yellow corn, kernels removed
- 5 ounces small fingerling potatoes, chopped
- 1 small chili, chopped (use bell pepper if you don't like the heat)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (i use this, half/half will also work)
- 2 tbs olive oil
1) add onions, celery, thyme, fennel and salt and pepper to stockpot; cook over medium-low heat until translucent, about 8 minutes. add stock and bring to a boil.
2) reduce heat to medium and add corn, potatoes, and chile; cook until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. remove and discard thyme. add coconut creamer, and simmer until soup is hot.
do you have any new cravings or favorite corn recipes? please share with us!
images: martha stewart's summer corn chowder