hey friends! food preservation is something very near and dear to my heart. to me, it's where homesteading really takes it's roots. canning and preserving the food that we've grown is sustainable, delicious and so incredibly rewarding! so today, i'm thrilled to introduce you to the amazing stephanie lee: a master food preserver, amazing artist, inspirational retreat leader, homesteader and all around creative! i've personally been privileged enough to receive several of stephanie's homemade jams and jellies and let me tell you, they are to die for!
from stephanie: jam on toast is hard to beat but this blueberry basil jam has a secret alter ego: mixed with a bit of balsamic vinegar, it makes a wicked good salad dressing or marinade. like wow.
blueberry basil jam
- 3 cups blueberries (frozen and thawed or fresh)
- 3/4 cup honey (adjust as needed according to the tartness of your berries)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or bottled. i like fresh.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup minced basil leaves
1. place the blueberries in a medium sized sauce pan. warm them up for a minute or two and then crush them with the back of a fork or a potato masher.
2. add the honey, lemon juice, basil, and lemon zest, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. stir frequently while the mixture boils for 15-20 minutes and it starts to thicken.
3. ladle the jam into a sterilized jar. (see preserving high acid foods for instructions).
4. store tightly covered in the fridge for a couple of weeks or you can use canning methods to store in a pantry for longer storage.
last week, the roost tribe also had the privilege of meeting stephanie through this roost tribe exclusive e-book: food preserving. though i've shared one of the recipes with you here today, this e-book is bursting with more delicious tips on food preservation and is incredibly inspirational to read. as she focuses on small batch canning, you'll leave feeling empowered and confident to preserve your own food!
join the roost tribe before august 1st to grab your own copy, and fall in love with the world of food preservation!
Howdy. I’m Stephanie Lee. I am a professional artist, workshop instructor, and creativity encourager. I know that creativity shows up with more color variations than a Rubik’s Cube and my job (and joy) is to help you find yours.
I thrive on digging for truth, dancing in the answers, and making art that embodies all of that. I bring all that I am - homesteader, food preserver, speaker, wife & mom, loyal friend, and master mess-maker to the classrooms where I teach, both brick + mortar and virtual. I take the lead long and strong enough to give you what you need to take off and run on your own bringing all that you are to your own beautifully creative life.