You are an artist. One of the first things you need to do before you're successful is to own this statement.
Proclaim it and make it feel genuine. Say it out loud: I AM AN ARTIST! Trust me, I know this can be both liberating and terrifying.
I'm a B I G believer in not running my business from a place of fear, but rather from a place of positivity and abundance. And in a flourishing art practice, there's no room for fear or doubt.
Let's look at the difference between a 'starving artist's mindset' and a 'flourishing artist's mindset', because a vital part of your success will be due to this concept, alone.
Starving Artist vs. Flourishing Artist: A starving artist believes that doing what they love will mean struggling financially. A flourishing artist believes in abundance and is excited by all the possibilities their art brings them.
A starving artist mindset:
- Fear that my artwork isn't good enough.
- Fear that my artwork will get stolen.
- Fear that I won't make any money from it.
- I'm not a business person.
- I'm not tech savvy.
- I'm too old / too young.
- I didn't go to art school so I don't know what I'm doing.
- I'm just an imposter.
- Suffering will make me a better artist.
The flourishing artist mindset:
- I can learn anything that I set my mind to.
- There's room for me in the market, and I have something unique to share.
- Promoting myself and learning how to market my work allows me to do what I love.
- I love sharing my process and my work with the world.
- My skillset allows me to explore so many different opportunities.
Being a flourishing artist means learning how to promote yourself, how to market your work and how to run a business. It requires a lot of work but can give you one of the most fulfilling careers possible.
Inside Flourish, I pull back the curtain on my business as a surface pattern designer and how you all the working gears on how I've built my business. If you have dreamed of crafting a career that you love, I would love to have you join me inside the Flourish Membership.